Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Difinitive Start Date

I have a start date for going car-free. I have been waiting to start because we have been looking for a new place to live, and now we have found one. Personally, I didn't want to stress test my current relationship by trying to make the move while only using a bike. The new place is on the west side of Missoula, a nice neighborhood with lots of charm. It used to be a blue collar neighborhood back when the mills still operated in town, once the mills closed that part of town went into decline. However, over the past decade it has come back with lots of renovations, new construction, and lots of young families moving in to the area.

It's a great central location that provides easy access to much of Missoula. Doing a little work with Google maps, I figured that its 2 miles to Costco, the new light at Palmer St should make crossing Broadway much easier and safer, though I don't know if Costco has a bike rack. Some other important points in Missoula include; downtown (less than a mile), half a mile to the new Safeway, less than 2 miles to the North Hills trail system, 2.5 miles to campus, and 1 mile or 2.5 miles to Bayern and Kettlehouse Brewries.

So, by the first week of April we should be all moved in and I can give up driving.

1 comment:

EB said...

Good Stuff Man!

Iv'e been car free for the past 5 years.

Its a beautiful thing.

Enjoy my Friend!

Bookmark and Share