Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In Missoula the Bike Shops Keep Multiplying

Yesterday I made a trip over to campus for a job interview and had to make a quick stop at the Ace Hardware just across from campus and over the foot bridge. On the way there I was surprised to see a new bike shop called Big Sky Bikes (I don't know if they have any affiliation with Big Sky Bicycles & Fitness) I had meant to stop in after the interview was over but spaced it out.

I don't know how knew the shop is, but its nice to see a building that was vacant for some time be useful again; its where World of Wings was located. Missoula has always been bike friendly and this has meant a vibrant community of cyclists and the infrastructure to support it. Our town of about 60,000 souls already supported. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 bike shops with each one catering to a slightly different clientele, and I'm sure that I missed one. Now within a few months two more have opened up. Just one more sign bicycles are becoming a more mainstream option for everyday life.

2 comments:

Daniel Nairn said...

You're making me jealous :)

I rode by that building every day, and it would have been pretty convenient for me. Charlottesville has only one (overpriced according to most people) bike shop, which seems crazy for a college town. There are a couple in the surrounding county, but trying to get to them by bike is a risky proposition.

CarFree Stupidity said...

Sorry, can't help it. You are the one that moved away, you could always come back and enroll in the planning grad program here. Kidding.

Bookmark and Share